Sunday, October 23, 2011

Jack Russell or Parson Russell?

I think I may have mentioned before that Jack Russell Terriers and Parson Russell Terriers are actually different from each other, but I guess I never told you how exactly this change happened. Well, when PRTs were first bred by a guy named Jack Russell, they were the long-legged version I told you about. Then, after the Reverend died, some people began crossing the Parson Russells with Welsh Corgis (at least, most people think so), and the Parson Russell-mixes suddenly had shorter legs and less-broadened chests, which is what Jack Russell Terriers are today. Still, most of the features of the PRT remain on the JRT, including having more than 50% white on their coat, v-shaped ears, and high-energy/stamina. Unfortunately, only Parson Russell Terriers are considered "show-dogs" out of the two; before anyone gets on my case for criticizing the Parson Russells, as a counter-attack...I own one. But I'm also not trying to say that Jacks are better than Parsons, or even German Shepherds, for all I care. A dog is a dog, and whatever those dog-show snobs think about it, I couldn't give a slice of toast about their opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment